Buscar

Páginas

The Bird

This little bird was the funniest thing ever. I do regret not taking any photos of the little thing, as it would have been great to stick up a photo of it now.

Nala caught it on Sunday the 3rd May, dragging it in the back door proudly whilst Pio, Tiaan, Vicky and I sat around the table playing poker. Vicky was the first to spot it, crying out "Oh my God, she's got a bird" which meant I took a flying leap off my chair and chased her around the house, eventually tackling her before being able to get the poor little scrap away from the evil jaws of death. So it sat in my shirt shaking madly whilst we finished our poker game, and then as I had no box or anything to put it in we used a cooler box with a towel and a hot water bottle inside to keep Birdy warm.

Needless to say, it survived the night in the cooler box, and the following morning before anyone woke up I crept out onto our roof and let it out to see if it could fly again. Well, it couldn't. What it did do though was bomb off the side of the roof into the neighbours garden before I could catch it against the ledge running around the top of the roof. So I thought well hey, leave it there for the day or at least until I can get a cage sorted for the poor thing, and then could go catch it again.

I couldn't find a cage, so eventually at like 6pm that night I sent Pio to go and look for it, and he couldn't find it - whether this was by choice or whether he was just being really blind, I do not know - but at any rate, we thought that it had possibly made its way into a tree and would survive on its own.

Half an hour later Nala dragged it back through the door. Which resulted in another running, tackling, rescuing drama and from my shirt back into its cooler box where it spent yet another night. The following day it really couldn't keep living in a cooler box and still couldn't fly, so I gave up and locked it in the spare room where it got to hop around everywhere on his own and do as he pleased with water in a shot glass and some bread crumbled up.

He landed up living in there for a week, got his own wild bird food, and expelled more birdy-poo than you can ever imagine could ever come from something so small, all over the beautiful polished wooden floors ... So by Saturday we decided that it really couldn't love there anymore and no one had a cage for us - it also still couldn't fly. To top this off, Nala and Zazu were having a very adverse reaction to the poor little thing and peeing all over the house which really was the end of the rope for me. So they got belted and their noses rubbed in it and little Birdy was taken off to SPCA in the cat basket - how ironic.

Seriously though, the little bugger has a death wish. He escaped through the tiny little blocks in the front of the cat basket and straight out the front door of the SPCA and was chased by two cats and God knows how many dogs as he shot through their enclosure - for being injured, this little thing moved like a bat out of hell, really, he was super fast! And once again, he survived all of this, and the last I saw of him he was in a proper bird cage with water and food and shrieking his head off. So, unless he has escaped again, he seems to be doing quite well bless him, he was too cute.

Sadly though, this little trip to the SPCA resulted in us taking a walk around and looking at all the animals. They really do have the most beautiful kittens, really, I was so tempted, but the animal that really caught my heart was a Ridgeback cross Boerbull female that had the most beautiful and sad brown eyes. We spent a little time with her, but as she was apparently already taken, the most we could do was leave our number and hope that the people that wanted her dropped out.

The following Monday came and no phonecall, so by Wednesday I rang them only to be told that the people hadn't turned up but someone else was interested in her and she had been spayed but that said people had not paid for her so they still didn't know. I still haven't had a phonecall so she has probably been re-homed by now. She really broke my heart, I would have absolutely loved to have her. For a little while I had a suspicion that Pio had somehow arranged her for me as the stories got a little confusing between the SPCA and him, but I have since realised that this is hoping for way too much and that I probably won't even get a birthday present. I can only hope that Clara has been given a good home and will be spoilt for all her days.

0 comments: