Buscar

Páginas

Me? Martha Stewart??

To my dismay it seems likely - OK, definitely not quite on the scale of Martha but seem to be on my way to becoming not too bad at the whole cooking and baking thing! Touch wood anyway - this now means that anything I bake and cook from now on will be a total flop.

I tried my hand at chocolate cakes,which came out great,but have worked out that my cake pans are too big for the amount of mix that I use and so my cakes are rather skinny yet large. New cake pans are expensive though so am holding out until I can afford smaller ones and living with what I have. Needless to say it could just be the icing and caramel that makes the chocolate cake so good!

I attempted cornbread which was OK - not fantastic but quite good. Again, I have a long and very skinny bread pan and would like to get a shorter fatter one, as my poor loaf looks decidedly odd. I found some gorgeous mini bread pans at Woerman, just the right size for one person, but as they are so expensive will have to hold off on that as well for the time being. 

On Friday I made a butternut soup which came out really well and fed us for the weekend, as well as a very nice Afrikaans pap-en-sous bake - only to discover that we weren't hungry after the soup and so half of it has gone to waste really. I am sure that the dogs will appreciate it though. 

Saturday morning I decided to make cheese and bacon muffins for breakfast,which came out great actually and I had the last ones for breakfast this morning - all cuddled up in bed with coffee, muffins, and Eureka. My next plan is to make a fabulous chocolate cake and take it to Ulf who has been a total life-saver for us regarding the Pajero and when I was so upset about the tax last week gave me a hug to cheer me up! Let's hope that it doesn't flop and I don't put it down on a hotplate on the stove like I did last time and crisp it again ...

Here's hoping that I manage to maintain this level of culinary semi-decency as I quite enjoy it - apart from the dishes!

0 comments: